Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Adventures in Transplanting

I've never had what you could call a "green thumb".

Granted, I've never really tried either.

Desert Arizona is not the most amenable growing climate after all. My brother Tim was/is able to coax anything out of the soil, but I never really tried. Well, other than that one time after I moved back in with my parents when, fresh with knowledge from my job at the arboretum, I planted quite a few transplants in the back yard.

Tim took it over shortly after and my desert penstemons and Tombstone roses were replaced with melons and grape vines. I'd only been gone three days, on a custody change trip to Vancouver.

Yes I'm still pissed, why do you ask?

Anyway, just because opportunity never really knocked doesn't mean I don't drool over seed catalogs and seedlings. If anything really stopped me before, it was the fact that most of what I wanted to grow doesn't really do well in Zone 9.

When we originally started our search for a new place to live (long story, we'll eventually get around to it) one of my primary criteria involved being able to grow what I wanted to grow. Apples. Berries. Nuts. Grains. Peaches. Cherries.

Every time I pass the nursery on Hwy 95 that sells huckleberry plants I want to pull in and buy a dozen. Even though we're renting and I can't really plant ANYTHING that involves marring the gorgeous lawn.

However, the property has a greenhouse and the greenhouse is all mine.

After 2 1/2 weeks of farmer's markets, I've finally gotten all the seedlings I want for the greenhouse. All started locally, all cheap as hell, all free from sales tax. All easily transplantable when we move, and all more than happy to be in the greenhouse.

The girls and I spent part of this afternoon weeding and planting and we're all excited to see what comes of our plants.

We ended up with 2 each of:


Brandywine Tomato

Tommy Toe Tomato


Glacier Tomato

Giant Thai Pepper

Cyklon Pepper

Fish Pepper


Habanero Pepper

Hopefully this summer we'll end up with plenty of ripe tomatoes and hot peppers.

4 comments:

  1. Tasty looking... Good selection to start with hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first Roma's of the season have set and are larger than cherry tomatoes already. Gotta make the most of San Diego Med climate before inland valley temps go over 100F for the summer. A bit late with my pickling cukes this year though. Maybe I'll plant some in shade of Avocado trees this year and see how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Western Gardens zone 9? If it is, then it's close to some parts of the interior of Norther California...funny. We tried Bradywines a few years back, they were disappointing, not that tasty and, frankly, fugly. Maybe you'll have better luck in a greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, we're not in Zone 9 anymore. When I lived in AZ, we were in Zone 9. Now we're in zone 5 where a lot of my favorite plants and trees grow well.

    ReplyDelete